THE PEOPLE FROM THE LARBIM
Researchers and Fellows
Dr. Andrés Averbuj
Associate Researcher CONICET
My research is focused broadly on marine gastropod biology. My primary research goal is to study reproductive modalities (seasonality, oviposition and embryonic development, fecundity, parental care, investment-output) and implications on life history, feeding behaviour and habitat adaptations. Another important aspect of my research is to understand the effects of marine pollution on gastropod reproduction. These topics are approached in an integrative manner in collaboration with colleagues from LARBIM and other institutions. I combine different methodologies such as histology, microscopy (optic and electronic), experimental biology (field or aquaria), energetic content analysis, among others.
- Understand the diversity of reproductive modalities in marine gastropods of the Argentine sea and its relationship with environmental parameters.
- Understand different aspects of the biology of marine gastropods, such as feeding, growth, behavior, fisheries potential, in relation to life history, habitat and reproductive modality.
- Study the reproductive biology of the genus Buccinanops as a model of protected development, regarding its parental investment, spawn care, nutritional modality of adults and juveniles, seasonality, gametogenic cycle, spawn and development, fecundity and relationship with environmental characteristics.
- Understand the effect of maritime pollution with the reproduction of marine gastropods. Biomonitoring pollution by morfological effects (imposex) in gastropods.
- Reproductive biology, growth and diet of Buccinanops species.
- Reproductive modalities, spawn and embryonic development of marine gastropods of the argentine coasts.
- Organotins (TBT) biomonitoring using imposex phenomenon in gastropods as boindicators.
- Effects of maritime pollution in the reproduction of highly sensitive gastropod species.
- Estimating fisheries potential in species of the genus Buccinanops from the coasts of Chubut.
- Energetics of marine gastropods and its relationship with reproductive modality.
- Reproduction and trophic ecology of the opistobranch Pleurobranchaea sp. in northpatagonic gulfs.
- Feeding and diet of marine gastropods, and energetic cost-benefit implications.
Bvd. Brown 2915 (U9120ACD)
Puerto Madryn, Chubut - Argentina
Tel.: +54 (0280) 488-3184 int 1329